Cooking and ClutterAround 41% of home fires start in the kitchen, contributing to 15% of all fire-related deaths in the home. In other words, your kitchen holds more fire threats than any other part of your house. When a pan overheats, splattering grease, it only takes a few seconds for the flames to engulf the rest of the room. The best way to avoid disaster is to keep an eye on food when you're cooking - particularly when using high temperatures, or oil. Most kitchen fires happen because people become distracted and leave appliances unattended. It’s also crucial to maintain a clean and organized kitchen. In the event of a grease fire, or small flame, clutter in the kitchen acts as kindling that can exacerbate the problem. Keep combustible items, like kitchen towels and cookbooks, at least three feet away from any source of heat.
Faulty Wiring and ElectricityElectricity is what we use to wake up in the morning, to be productive, and even to relax; but it also represents significant risk in a household. Old, damaged wiring is responsible for approximately 50,000 home fires a year. It might seem costly to have an electrician assess your property for frayed cords and damaged electricals, it will be much less than the possible injuries that could occur if you ignore the problem. Once a professional has checked your wiring, be sure that you use your electricity carefully. Keep these tips in mind for safe electricity usage:
- Avoid overloading extension cords, or using them to permanently plug in appliances. Extension cords are for short-term use and may cause hazards over time.
- Use Ground Fault Circuit Interrupters in outlets located in the basement, garage, bathroom, kitchen, and outside. These devices shut off an electrical circuit when a fire hazard occurs.
- Use light bulbs that don't exceed the maximum wattage on the fixture or lamp.